Monday, April 9, 2012

Delicious and Social Bookmarking

During the course of the semester, I utilized Delicious as my social bookmarking sight. Delicious allows individuals to keep, share, and learn about various websites pertaining to specific topics. The goal of Delicious is to be a place to bookmark websites and store them for personal or professional use. When you see something on the web that you would like to further explore, you can simply bookmark it to save. Delicious is the worlds' leading social bookmarking service and integrates technology in so many ways. In the past, I have book marked sites to my favorites but Delicious offers a much more organize and easy way to access these sites. It serves as a central storage for websites and information of particular interest to my professional studies. Here is my link to Delicious: https://delicious.com/rachelstockard

I am constantly researching and looking at websites to stay informed on my job as an elementary math specialist. In order for me to constantly be a learner, I am encouraged to research and study all of the current information pertaining to my field. As a specialist with AMSTI, I am expected to specialize in math, science and technology curricular areas. I can categorize each site specifically organized by content and subject. When I need to refer to information that I have discovered, it will be easy for me to locate the site as a reference. Another benefit I have discovered through Delicious is following others and their social bookmarking sites. By following certain professionals, I can stay abroad to topics that I choose to study and research. I will also recruit other colleagues to become a part of Delicious, so together, we can collaborate and share professional learning sites through various networks. Through the different networks, I am building and deepening content knowledge through collaboration and modeling 21st century skills.

My hope for participating in Delicious is to get involved with other networks and resources to provide knowledge to my field and to deepen content and pedagogy. The ability to collaborate with other professionals within mathematics instruction, allows me to learn and provide cutting edge knowledge to teachers and students within my district. By organizing, sharing and learning through social bookmarking, it opens up networks that can enhance my professional career. I serve over 200 teachers in the state of Alabama. Giving teachers new and creative ways to implement hands-on, inquiry based mathematics can be an innovative and effective way to keep teachers informed on current trends in mathematics instruction.

3 comments:

  1. I like your idea of following the Delicious lists of others with common interests. It makes finding good new sources more effective. For you, it is also a good way to disseminate information for your teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not followed users with common interests as you have. I have only followed my colleagues in my district. I think that I will try to add that to my account. We have used the site as a central networking point for our teachers and it works great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I placed my link on your facebook.

    ReplyDelete